Friday, August 14, 2015

How to Get Good Grades: Tips for Studying

I'm one of those people who obsesses over their grades (#nerdalert) and has only gotten one B (8th Grade, Geometry, 2nd Trimester *cries*) in their entire existance. The thought of anything other than straight-A's stresses me out, so I try my hardest to keep my grades looking nice. Here are my tips:


Start Your Homework Right After School

I know, I know. You just finished school, only to go home and do more schoolwork! Outrageous! In the past, I have gone on my phone when I got home, and lost track of time after scrollin' through the depths of Insta and Twitter, only to find myself starting homework at 4:00! If you start right after school, you will have more time to go on your phone (or do whatever you heart desires) after your homework is done.

Get Rid of Distrctions

I'm guilty of checking my twitter feed every 5 minutes in the middle of trying to solve for "x"- it just doesn't work! What I like to do is give my phone to my mom *gasp*. When I'm done, she'll give it back, and I can then check social media. You can also do this with your laptop if you find yourself checking J. Crew's newest arrivals in the middle of a study sesh #guilty. Without these distractions, you'll get the work done so much faster!

Use Flashcards/Quizlet

I love flashcards! I usually quiz myself before tests- write the question on one side, and the answer on the back! You can also do this on Quizlet, which is an online study resource. Definitely check it out!

Keep a Snack and Drink Close-By

When you are hungry or thirsty, it is harder for you to focus. I recommend keeping a healthy snack on your desk (almonds, trail mix, a sliced apple + peanut butter, etc.) to reach for when you get hungry. This way you won't be wandering down to the kitchen (another distraction!!). For drinks, keep a bottle of water within reach.

Teach The Lesson Yourself

Pretend that you are teaching someone about the Civil War, or how to do a certain kind of math problem, and try to teach them without your notes. Talk it through out loud, draw pictures (whiteboards work great); do whatever you would do to actually teach it! After, check your notes. Whatever you forgot to teach is what you need to review for the test!

Find What Works Best For You

Everyone has a different way of studying that works for them. Some people study a little each night, and others study a bunch the night before (this works for me!). Find what works for you and stick with it!

I hope this was helpful! Good luck in the upcoming school year!

xoxo,
Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. Love these tips Alyssa! I also start as soon as I get home, I grab a snack then head up to my room! I usually allow myself to do a bit of blogging until I finish my snack then it's time to do homework! I also study the night before, it helps me study so much better!

    xoxo,
    Katie
    chicincarolina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I do! I'm glad we agree!

      Xoxo,
      Alyssa

      Delete